I was sooooooooo excited to make these cupcakes after finding them in my recipe book! 😀 They are honestly so good and taste amazing! Just don’t eat too many in one go cause they’re really rich (well the icing is anyway)!
The recipe says this makes 12-16 cupcakes (in muffin cases), but I ended up making around 20 with the mix because there is a lot of it!
140g unsalted butter (or Stork)
200g caster sugar
60g black treacle
60g golden syrup
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
310g plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp gound cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
240 ml hot milk (I warmed it in the microwave)
For the icing:
600g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter
250g full fat cream cheese
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (190 degrees) and line the muffin tins with muffin cases.
2. Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, then add in the treacle, golden syrup, eggs and egg yolks and continue mixing until everything is well mixed together.
3. Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, spices and baking powder together then add to the egg mix in batches, alternating with the hot milk. Don’t add the milk all in one go or it’ll curdle! Once everything is in the bowl turn the electric mixer up to medium and beat for a while longer until the batter is smooth.
4. Divide the batter into the muffin cases (I used an ice cream scoop to equally divide it) and fill them to 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 mins then once cooked allow them to cool for a little in the tin before moving to a cooling rack.
5. To make the frosting, using an electric mixer, beat together the icing sugar with butter until the butter isn’t in large clumps, then add the cream cheese and mix on a high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in the lemon zest.
6. Pipe or spoon the icing onto the cupcakes and top with the gingerbread or other Christmas decorations.
So there we have Blogmas Day 2! 🙂 Are you enjoying blogmas so far?